SEO link building plays a heavily vital role in site indexing. Since the beginning, search engines have been considering the backlinks as votes to determine site popularity. Essentially, the crawlers scan the interent from one link to another. It is not as simple as getting a huge amount of vote and scaling up the Google ladder! The credibility of the voters (read websites) counts as much as the actual votes cast to your site.
Interpreting organic linking
In addition, the entire process must be organic and never manipulative. Organicity is the pace of life, which means you need to maintain a balanced rhythm. You cannot just assualt the internet with hundreds of links overnight and wait for the results to come!
Instead of positive results, you may actually have to suffer a decrease in page rank because of manipulative activities. Therefore, if you are pursuing blog commenting as you link strategy, make sure to comment in three blogs everyday instead of raiding 30 blogs in two days (and keeping inactive for the next week). There is no hurry!
Types of linking
There are three primary categories, inbound, internal, and outbound.
• As their monikers suggest, the ‘in’ ones are the links to enter your site from another. Essentially, these are connections made by other webmasters to your site. They also work by the name of backlinks.
• The internal links are the connections from one page of your site to another.
• The outgoing links are the ones you establish with other sites.
• Obviously, from the perspective of the destination website, your outbound is theirs’ inbound, and vice versa. The exchange within two websites via linking goes by the appropriate name, reciprocal links.
What is the best link strategy in SEO?
As you can undersdand, both inbound and outbound links play vital roles in determining the relative positions of the websites in SEO. Search engine specialists employ tactics to garner genuine inbound links. The tactics are diverse and incorporate all aspects of internet marketing. The outbound ones are directly in your control. Nevertheless, the webamaster or the SEO expert must pay attention to connect with the right websites.
Good connections often generate reciprocal links on goodwill, serving both ends of the link transit equally and mutually. There is no single best linking stragey except employing the keenest attention to the quality of the links. One must consider several vital parameters in defining quality for sure.
In addition, setting up good internal link architecture is also vital. Neat internal linking profiles such as sitemaps allow the crawlers to interpret your site as more organized than your competitors are. This increases the chances of ranking up in Google.
A quality outbound link should consist of:
• A good anchor text: This is the word/phrase in your site that you hyperlink to another site. An ideal anchoring phrase should be no more than two to five words. Good anchoring helps the search engine crawler to identify quickly (in fractional milliseconds, precisely) the quality and relevance of your text. Make it reader friendly. Instead of a ‘click here’ and ‘check this’, you need to put in some thought to write good texts generating genuine interest.
• Opening in a new window: This is actually a vital aspect because you do not want the reader to miss the original site. However, in internal linking, you can arrange the URL to open in the same window (like in Wikipedia).
Developing inbound linking strategies
Inbound linking is a significantly vaster field than the outbound ones. This is where you need to elicit responses from other websites to connect with yours. The premium approach employed is article marketing. In this heavily practiced approach, SEO experts develop informative and readable articles with links leading to their sites. Then, you post these contents to different directories. The article directories have been highly conducive for search engines to index websites because of the organized systematic arrangement they deliver.
However, directory submission guidelines have been going through a lot of topsy-turvy. While sites like Ezine usually appeared on the first page of Google, nowadays it is a rare phenomenon. The directories are increasingly tightening their submission guidelines to meet with Google guidelines. Other major archives include Helium, Squidoo, ArticleBase, ArticleAlley, and HubPages. Besides article archives, there are also directories for blogs, press releases, or for simply registering your URL.
The DoFollow and the NoFollow attributes
This is a paradoxical aspect of link building in SEO. The DoFollow attribute essentially tells the search engine to take the course directed by the link. The NoFollow links tell the crawler to take a detour. Remember, a crawler can always scan a NoFollow link also. You cannot simply connect an anchor text with a shady site with NoFollow. It simply does not serve any purpose! The search engine may not follow it, thereby making no effect on your page rank. If they follow it to a broken page or a link farm, you have to face the harsh music. Use DoFollow and NoFollow attributes in ultimate discretion.
A quick word of caution
If shady websites begin to link you, you need to unlink asap!
Such damaging services also operate in the underbelly of the internet. A company may deliberately connect your site to hundreds of rubbish links, broken links, link farms, etc. How does this happen?
Essentially, your sworn competitor is paying certain services for such activities. Google is still finetuning its strategies to weed out such damaging actions. Until then (and even then also), it is always the responsibility of the webmaster to track daily the linking activity. Several amazing SEO software products are available. Use a good paid product to maintain a neat link profile over time.